Saturday 29 December 2012

Back up plans


It accrued to me that there is not guarantee I will be accepted into any of these universities, so I decided to look at what I will be able to do as a backup. Some other ways of being able to learn and gain the skills needed to get a job in the sound industry.

I may get turned down due to limited spaces on the course, possibly insufficient UCAS points or maybe my current course will not be seen to be a sufficient pre-request. So below I have found various courses that have no need for any of these things.

SSR London

SSR is a sound school based in London it is a very successful establishment associated with prestige’s companies such as apple, Itv local, bbc, mutv, the national skills academy and many more.

SSR is a very well respected school that have had many successful students

·         Ricky Meakin – After Djing for years Ricky joined this school to home his skills of sound design and production and open his mind to ne things. 6 years later he and his partner host a regular clubbing event Ibiza to a regularly 2000 strong, as well as other huge events from around the world.

·         Jay Thomas Heigl - who is currently studying Audio Engineering Techniques & Technology asked by producer Willie Dowling to help with the recording and mixing for British rock band “The Wildhearts” latest triple album. The sessions took place in a studio in northern France.

·         Robert Owen -  ever since her studies has not only completely incharge of all the recording, editing and implementation of the sound for the App version of a popular board game “war on terror”  that is now up for an award on www.bestappever.com. But he also is the resident DJ and co-owner of Nintendisco - a club night held in various cities and worked for Nintendo at all their events in 2011

·         Sophie Grant/Dan smith - Sophie used the skills she learnt to make, produce and release her own EP album, and Sophie has been working with uk entertainment brand such as “Bankers club” and had produced a 12 track for the rapper Sloozie.

This is the most Impressive most prestige’s sound school I was able to find, the sheer amount of companies they are connected with is dauntingly impressive and there students success stories and truly inspiring.

This course maybe very hard to get onto so, I have found other alternatives.

Live sound training - This is one of the rare sound course taught in Birmingham, though unfortunately they only teach a live sound engineering course. I am very confident this is not the route I want to go down I will bare this in mind in case I change my mind.

This course offers infield placements and experience at two well know venues in Birmingham.


Point blank – Is another school that stood out among the rest, not only does this school have its own record label, but huge world renound record labels such as, island, state51, universal studios and many more check the look through fresh work from students to seek out fresh talent for hiring.

Summary

I came across many online courses that I can take, but being realistic and knowing myself I get distracted too easily and find it hard to work in leisure environments such as my own house. So to be on the safe side I completely ruled this out as an option.

If in the even I do not get onto these course's I would spend a year volunteering in anything sound related to gain experience, invest in software and attempt to self learn software and create and engage in self made projects to build a portfolio.

From there I can try to either break into the industry as a assistant or runner and work my way up and re-apply for course and universities.

No comments:

Post a Comment